How To Delete and Deactivate kik Account: Step By Step Guide – Kik is a free messaging service that has become quite popular in very less time in some circles.
It has acquired more than 200 million users worldwide in a very short span of time. Here is our guide on how to deactivate kik and delete it permanently.
Kik is similar to BBM messenger and has a similar working pattern. It allows users to send text messages, voice messages, share media files, photos, videos and more with other kik users.
It has a quick and hassle-free registration, a very easy to use interface and navigating the menu. But a lot of users who use kik have complained that it consumes a lot of space on their phone and eventually decreases the performance of your mobile phone.
Also after the recent controversies that were associated with kik, for it being inappropriate for minors, due to the more anonymity features and less parental control options, it has been banned in a lot of countries and thousands of users have opted out of it.
So, if you are also looking to deactivate kik or delete it permanently, you will have to follow a few simple steps. Firstly, we would recommend clearing up all the cached data of the app from your phone before deleting the app.
In this article, we are going to share with you a few methods of deleting and deactivating kik from your mobile.
First Step For Deactivating kik: Clearing History
Firstly, to deactivate kik or to delete it permanently, it is advised to delete all the history of the app. So here is a quick guide you can follow to delete the history, contacts, chats and all conversations you had with your friends on kik.
- Open Kik app on your mobile.
- Find the gear icon on the top right corner.
- Click on it and it will take you to the Settings menu.
- Now, click on “Your Account” option.
- Find the “Reset Kik Messenger” option at the bottom and click on it.
- A confirmation pop-up will appear, click on “Yes”.
This will delete all the history associated with your account and also close the application.
Next Step: How To Deactivate kik Account
Once the history is deleted, you can now either deactivate kik or delete it permanently. We will first the method of deactivating kik and then move to deleting your kik account permanently.
Deactivate Kik Account Using the kik App
To deactivate Kik messenger account, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open the app on your mobile and go to settings.
- Select “Account”.
- Click on “Reset kik Messenger”.
- Enter the email address that you had used to register on Kik.
- You will now receive an email regarding the deactivation process.
- Next, exit the kik messenger app and go to the device menu of your mobile.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Scroll down and select “Apps.”
- Look for “Kik” from the list of apps.
- Select the and tap on “delete”.
- Click on “confirm” or “uninstall” to Remove the Kik App
However, Kik does not delete your account permanently at once, instead, it just deactivates your account and lets you join back later with the same credentials. So, if you want to delete your kik messenger account permanently, then you will have to follow a few additional steps which we will discuss in the next section.
Guide: How to Fix “unfortunately settings has stopped” on Android
How To Permanently Delete Your kik Account
Before we move ahead with the steps to delete your account permanently, let me tell you that you cannot create another account with the already registered email id that you are about to deactivate.
So, if you want to use the current email address to make a new account on kik messenger, that you have already registered for the previous account, then follow these steps to be able to use the same email address.
- Go to “account settings” in the messenger.
- Change the existing email address to any other email id.
- Next, remove all the information, friends, chats, photos and all other data that is associated with your account.
- Now deactivate your Kik account by following the steps mentioned above.
This way, you will save the email id from being blocked permanently and will be able to the same email address to make another account on kik messenger.
Deleting kik Account Permanently
If you do not intend to use this app again, then there is no point in keeping it in your mobile only to consume space. So, it is better to delete kik account permanently and uninstall the app, instead of just deactivating Kik account.
Follow the steps given below to permanently delete your kik account:
- Deleting the account using a PC
- Go to the kik deactivation page “https://ws.kik.com/deactivate”
- Enter your username and email address associated with the account in the required fields.
- You will receive an email with the deactivation process in your mailbox.
- Follow the steps mentioned in the email and your kik account will be permanently deleted.
- A drop-down menu will appear, select a reason for leaving Kik. This is required to delete the account.
- Check the box with the reason that is appropriate.By checking it, you will be acknowledging that you are going to permanently deactivate Kik account and won’t be able to reactivate it again.
- Now click on the “Go” button.
- All your history, chats and messages will be removed permanently.
A Few Points To Be Noted:
By choosing to permanently delete your kik messenger account,
- Your account will not be accessible anymore.
- You will not receive messages from any of your friends.
- You will not receive any emails from Kik.
- Your username will not be searchable or found on Kik.
- Your profile will be removed from the contact lists of all your friends.
- You will never be able to reactivate your account or log in.
- You will have to create a new account if you wish to use Kik again.
How To Delete or Deactivate Kik Account of Your Child
As a parent, you would want your child to enjoy the benefits internet provides but would also want to secure them from the pitfalls. So, if you do not want your child to use Kik messenger, you can request their account be deactivated – Permanently Delete Kik account of a child.
You can do this easily by only knowing the email address that your child uses on their kik account.
- Email on “email@example.com” with “Parent Inquiry” as the subject line.
- List down the Kik username of your child along with their age.
- Customer service from kik will contact you and send you a form to fill in.
- Fill the form completely and submit it for deletion of the account
Conclusion – Deactivating Kik Account and Deleting it Permanently
Kik is a great messenger app that lets you communicate with your friends and family. But since the account is not associated with any phone number, it is easy to create many spam accounts. This is the main reason people are not very comfortable with using this app.
The process to deactivate kik or permanently delete kik account is relatively very easy. Just follow the simple steps mentioned above in the article to remove your account from the kik messenger completely. Although it might take a few days before your name disappears from your friend’s mobile, any new search for your username will not show any results.